What is UBCycles?
UBCycles is a hub for all biking activities at UBC’s Okanagan campus. We offer short-term and long-term rentals, workshops for a variety of skill levels, and tools for bike repairs. Commuters may store their bicycles in the UBCycles room and have access to day-use lockers, showers, and tools.
Sustainability is one of the main tenants of UBCycles. UBCycles and its coordinators take the following steps to ensure that the program is as green as possible:
- UBCycles uses reclaimed and refurbished bicycles purchased or donated from the Kelowna & the UBC community. We are always looking for more bikes to add to our fleet!
- UBCycles provides students, staff, and faculty the opportunity to use bicycles for exploring the campus and the community, in lieu of using transportation such as cars and motorcycles.
- Lights in the UBCycles room are set on a motion sensor to minimize energy waste
- UBCycles tries to be as paper-free as possible, using online tools and resources for administrative purposes
Location and hours
UBCycles is located in UNC 233 on the second floor of the University Centre, just past the Student Services counter and around the corner from International Programs & Services. Hours are posted on our door, on our Facebook page, and can also be provided upon e-mail request. If you would like to rent a bike but our times conflict with your schedule, please feel free to contact us and we can arrange to meet at another time.
For a one time, annual fee (September – August) of $10, you can experience the benefits of membership include, but certainly aren’t limited to:
- Use of the UBCycles program, its resources, and its facilities*
- Use of the UBCycles after-trip facilities
- Opportunities to learn about the basic use and repair of bicycles
- Opportunities to get involved in great events like group bike rides and cycling related training
- *members’ use of the UBCycles room is only allowable under the presence of a UBCycles staff member or official program volunteer
Indoor Bike Storage & Lockers
How do you get involved?
Getting involved with UBCycles is both easy and rewarding. If you would like to be involved, please contact the UBCycles Coordinator.
Participate in the Program:
Become a Member now!
Memberships can either be purchased:
- In person at the Recreation Customer Service Desk in the Gym (cash or cheque only), or
- Online using your recreation customer account (don’t have an account? no problem! click the link to create one now)
Volunteer with the Program
Volunteers who are approachable and friendly and can help our members learn about our UBCycles, the Kelowna and
UBC Okanagan bike trails, and about our program! We are always seeking volunteers who:
- Want to learn more about bicycles, green living, and who are excited about sharing these passions with others
- Have experience working with and on bicycles, including bicycle mechanics, and repair people
- Volunteers will be asked to commit 3 hours per week to the program to maintain their status as volunteers.
Benefits of being a UBCycles Volunteer
- receive access to all “member” privilages, listed above, free of charge
- become a member of a friendly team who share a passion for cycling, cycle commuting, sustainability and the environment
- receive access to the UBCycles room to provide assistance to program members and fulfill volunteer duties, as assigned by the UBCycles Coordinator
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In person: UNC 233