The Hangar Fitness and Wellness Centre
Made possible by a $3.5 million gift from the founding family of Kelowna Flightcraft, Barry Lapointe and Mary Jo Schnepf and their employees, The Hangar – the first and only built-to-purpose fitness centre on campus – was opened in the summer of 2013.
The upper-level main fitness centre houses 4000 square feet of innovative cardio equipment, an array of weight machines, open space, and plenty of free weight options.
The lower level of the Hangar houses two fitness studios. Studio One, with sprung hardwood floor, is home to most group fitness classes but is also rented by student dance and combative clubs. Studio Two has a functional jungle gym. Studio Three has 20 Keiser spin bikes and features multiple spin classes each week. The Hangar’s lower lobby space is also an open activity space where members are welcome to stretch or do personal exercises.
Booking a studio
To book a studio space, you must be a registered student club, sponsored by a faculty, or an organized community group that can show proof of liability insurance.
All UBC Recreation programs and services take priority of space, and booking requests will be looked at once department programming is complete. Due to limited space and high demand from Hangar users, only athletic or recreational related booking activities will be permitted.
To book a space in advance, please contact Crystal Westgate at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student clubs: $20/hr
- Other groups: $35/hr
Hangar Fitness Centre etiquette
- Clean, indoor, closed-toe shoes only.
- It is your responsibility to return all equipment to designated area after use.
- Use of the equipment should befitting to the designed purpose of the equipment.
- Clean equipment after use.
- Personal belongings, bags and backpacks should be left in lockers or in the designated cubby area provided.
- The Hangar is a scent-free facility.
- Please refrain from using colognes and perfumes.
- Chalk is not permitted in the Hangar.
- Take turns on equipment and allow others to “work in.”
- Set free weights down gently: do not drop the weights.
- Please respect other users and refrain from yelling or using profanity.
- Users wearing inappropriate clothing may be asked to change. Hangar Dress Code Policy
- Turn cell phones to vibrate and keep use to a minimum.
- Users under the age of 17 must be accompanied by a UBC personal trainer.
- Feel free to ask one of our staff members if you need a spot or assistance using a piece of equipment.
- Be courteous of other members at all times to make the Fitness Centre experience pleasant for you and for fellow users.
- Failure to adhere to Hangar etiquette may result in membership suspension or termination.
The lower level of the Hangar houses two fitness studios.
Studio One: Home to most group fitness classes and rented by student dance and combative clubs.
Studio Two: Home to the jungle gym within the functional training space
Studio Three: Home to spin classes and stocked with 20 Keiser spin bikes
To book a studio space, please see “Bookings” above.
Stretch and Strength
The Hangar’s lower lobby space is an open activity space where members are welcome to stretch or do personal exercises.
About: Made possible by a $3.5 million gift from the Lapointe family of Kelowna Flightcraft on behalf of their employees, The Hangar is the first and only built-to-purpose fitness centre on campus.
Upper Floor: Cardio and weights. Nearly 5000 square feet The upper-level main fitness center offers 35 cardio machines with interactive goal setting and internet capabilities, a fully equipped weight room including resistance machines, free weights and functional training equipment as well as a stretching/regeneration area.
Lower Floor: The lower level of the Hangar houses three fitness studios. The Hangar’s lower lobby space is also an open activity space where members are welcome to stretch or do personal exercises.
Studio One: Is equipped with sprung hardwood floor and is home to most group fitness classes but is also rented by student dance and combative clubs.
Studio Two: Is equipped with an indoor jungle gym
Studio Three: Features 20 Keiser spin bikes and features multiple spin classes each week.
Dimensions: 8,700 gsf
Wheelchair Accessible: Yes
Parking: Lot M
Did you know? The Hangar was designed and built mostly from wood and was featured by the Canadian Wood Council. [PDF]